I think I want to start a movement to officially end the name "4th of July". It's Independence Day, and should be called such. I recently have had a newfound feeling of patriotism. I love my country, and especially those who have sacrificed their all. Thank you to those who settled for nothing less than freedom, liberty, and independence -- not matter the cost.
At church this Sunday we sang America the Beautiful. My eyes brimmed with tears as we sang the 3rd verse:
"O beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife.
Who more than self their country loved
And mercy more than life!
America! America!
May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness
And every gain divine!"
The political arena today lacks men and women who are willing to sacrifice their all for the good of our country. The signers of the Declaration of Independence made a promise to eachother. The last sentence says, "we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor." Have we lost this? Are people today, especially politicians, willing to sacrific what our forefathers sacrificed to preserve freedom?
May God bless this great country -- the greatest country God has given to man -- with more of that kind of attitude. To read more of the sacrifices that the signers made, read this article.
Happy Independence Day
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment